The Association was notified by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, that the Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) approved certain changes to construction supervisor license continuing education requirements. These changes will become effective on January 1, 2018.
The current continuing education requirement is to complete the following amount of hours over a two year period.
- Construction Supervisors License (CS) – 12 Hours
- Construction Supervisors License (1-2 Family Dwellings) (CSFA) – 10 Hours
- Construction Supervisor Specialty License (CSSL) – 6 Hours
Now there are requirements for these licenses regarding the amount of hours that must be spent on specific topical categories such as:
- Code Review – 4 hours for CS and CSFA; 2 hours for CSSL
- Workplace Safety – 1 hour for all
- Business Practices – 1 hour for all
- Energy – 1 hour for all
- Lead Safe Practices – 1 hour for 1st renewal
In addition, there are new restrictions on the amount of training that each license category may take online. Now CS and CSFA licensees may only take a maximum of 6 hours of online continuing education for credit. CSSL may complete all 6 hours of their training online if they wish. However, online courses are also required to administer pop quizzes every 30 minutes and a final exam to ensure that attendees are paying attention and active on the seminar.
For more information on MA CSL and continuing education credits, please contact the Association office, or visit the Mass.gov webpage here.